⚠️ Warning: This is a draft ⚠️
This means it might contain formatting issues, incorrect code, conceptual problems, or other severe issues.
If you want to help to improve and eventually enable this page, please fork RosettaGit's repository and open a merge request on GitHub.
'''Minimal BASIC''' is a very small subset of the [[BASIC]] language. It is specified in ECMA Standard 55, ANSI X3.60-1978 and others. It has a rigorous test suite (initially NBSIR 77-1420 from 1978) to ensure that vendors supplying computer systems to the US Federal government met compatibility guidelines.
The language is very limited:
- line numbers are required
- no string manipulation commands
- all variables must be defined/modified using the LET keyword
- the only loop structure is FOR … TO … STEP …, with loop parameters fixed at entry
- all programs must end with an END statement.
- Microsoft BASIC 5.0 for 8080 (BASIC-80, MBASIC for CP/M - 1981) claims compliance in its manual.
- [https://jorgicor.niobe.org/bas55/ bas55]
- [https://buraphakit.sourceforge.io/BASIC.shtml John's ECMA-55 Minimal BASIC Compiler]
Compare with [[Full BASIC]].